Bookmark and Share

JACKCAST004 – DVS1


 

JackCast004 – DVS1

As part of an on going effort here at “Jack The Box” to expose what amazing things are happening in the Midwest, our next Interview and Jackcastcast is no exception. In honor of his birthday and his recent release on Klock Works (Time Fog release out in the coming weeks) we took the time to have a few questions with The DVS1.  If you are from the area you know who he is and if you’ve been to a techno show recently then the odds are you have heard him since his music is making it into the bags of many respected DJs around the world.
A party promoter, club owner, sound designer, DJ, and producer, I can’t help but proud of our very own DVS1. Please Join the Particle People Mpls and Hush this Saturday, November 28th 2009 for a special night of music and celebration with Aaron Bliss, Jesse Jakob, Math Static on visuals and DVS1 .
As an extra special treat we have an exclusive podcast! Now, this is no ordinary podcast; but a very special blend of original and unreleased cuts from the man himself. In this podcast you will hear forthcoming music from TimeFog, Transmat, Klock Works, and Others.

What are your feelings of the Midwest dance music scene? Specifically Minneapolis…

Obviously I’m biased because it’s my home! The Midwest is great and specifically Minneapolis in my eyes is the sleeping giant, the city that has so much talent that most people just overlook and I’m not saying that just to pump our ego’s, most  other’s who come here to perform/play say the same thing about our energy, our venues and our opportunities, sure we don’t have everything…but what we do have is pretty good!!
As far as our party scene, it goes just like most other cities…Things always go up and down and go through phases of change.  Currently it feels pretty good; we have a healthy dose of club nights and a decent amount of underground spots!  We still get away with throwing all night parties and we play our music as loud as we want…All in all I think we’re all right.
Lately a lot of Minneapolis people have been gaining attention outside of our city.  There have been a few people branching out and putting out original production and it feels like we have a little momentum going right now with our locals!

Your first release on Klockworks (klockworks 05) seems to going well. How has that experience been for you?

It’s been interesting!  I never set out to make music for release; I really just made things for myself and spent time creating the couple live sets that I have done.  From doing those live sets things have really spawned into a lot of opportunities. I have to say I’ve always been a DJ first.   My love and passion is for playing vinyl and I’m really just now gaining  a new admiration for the production side of things. I would say as a DJ I feel pretty fluent and able to show my emotions. As a producer, I’m still learning how to speak and how to express myself.
I have said this to a few people already in regards to my first release and meeting Ben Klock.  I couldn’t have connected with a better person to give me insight and answers to my questions when it came to putting out music.   Ben Klock is not only an amazing DJ/producer, but he is a very down to earth guy who was open to my questions and was really good about helping me get this release for Klockworks ready!  He has a great ear and really helped me focus my ideas for the release.

Speaking about connections – the story surrounding your chance encounter with Ben Klock is a really fun story; would you like to share a little about that?

I’ll give you the short version…I’ve only done 3 live PA’s EVER.  1 over 3 years ago and the other happened to be the weekend that Ben Klock was playing in Minneapolis.  After he got done playing at Black, he was brought over to the underground party where I was about to perform.  I think he literally walked in as I was starting.  That night was magical for me, cause that was the 2nd live set I had ever done.  I had a great crowd, great sound and the vibe was on fire that night!!  After Ben heard the set, we started talking and it appeared that he genuinely liked what I was doing and my approach to making music.  We kept in touch afterward and the rest is history…Klockworks 05 stemmed from that live set he heard me perform that night…

Are you currently working on any new music projects?

Yes.  I just finished a release for the Timefog crew, its should be coming out soon.  (timefog04 flight to no where EP).  3 tracks of mine with a remix from Drumcell of the DROID crew in LA. (DIGITAL ONLY)
I’m also doing a very limited 7 inch record for a crew in Sweden.  I’m doing a remix of Van Rivers (of sublimal kid and van rivers from SWEDEN).  This release is being done in conjunction with a party I’m going to play for them and the pressings are for the people who attend the party. But you know I’m grabbing a STACK of em to bring home!
The next release I have slated is something I’m really proud of as well…I actually gave some of my early tracks to Derrick May last year before meeting Ben Klock and he sat on them for a long time.  After deciding to resurrect Transmat he offered me a release with 2 tracks that he was playing out…  I cant really explain the feeling of having a record come out on Transmat.  Derrick May and that entire era of DJ’s and record labels is what I grew up on and what became such a huge influence on what my style and taste is today…I’m seriously honored and humbled to be a part of the re-start of Transmat!  DVS1 love under pressure EP MS96 comes out VERY SOON!!
I’m also working on a follow up to the Klockworks release.  There are a few other projects on the horizon for people that I have been following for years, but for now they are top secret!!

Are you planning on touring soon in support of the new music?

I wish/hope!!!  All though things are starting to pop up and I’m getting some really unique opportunities from the record release with Klock.  I’m playing in Sweden November 14th and Berghain in Berlin on January 23rd.  I’m hoping to get another gig while over in Berlin!

Since this interview you recently returned from Sweden, tell us a little about your first official international gig, how was it?

It was great!  The people were really nice and the gig was good.  They lost the original space about 2 days before the party and at the last minute got another one.  Unfortunately they had to turn the sound down due to noise complaints early on at this new space…I still played for nearly 4 hours to a packed underground party though!

What are your expectations of Berlin and Berghain? (Or just pick Europe in general if you prefer)

Really I don’t have any expectations.  I can’t….  I keep going back and forth with how much I should expect, or how much I should prepare or how much I should tailor what I do with what I expect…In the end I think I really just need to go over there and do what I do best…ME.   That’s not meant to be Cocky, its really meant to try and convince myself of that being the right thing to do..J  If I cant convince myself of that I might just go crazy over thinking it!

One of the things we support on this Blog is gear!  I know, I know, Its so cliché, but hey, the fact is, people really do like to know.  What is your current DJ and music production set up?

For Djing…I prefer 2 tech 1210MK5G. (+-16). A Pioneer 800 Dj mixer and some type of Isolator strip (vestax DCR 1200pro 4 channel EQ).  I PLAY WAX!!!! So I just need a good mixer and a good set of DECKS!!
In the studio it’s just REASON 4.0 with a full keyboard and a UC33 controller.  I try and use reason as organically as possible recording live mix downs and live manipulation, nothing is preprogrammed or laid out as far as programming.  Unfortunately I had to get rid of a lot of my analog gear from back in the day… All though I recently picked up a MINT emu sp12 sampler.  I’m thinking about going on a binge of sampling old disco and soul cuts and making some twisted old techno jack tracks… (That’s my Midwest roots!)

How can people find out more about hush/dvs1/your events and all the other things you do…
www.hushsound.com
I’ve always procrastinated on my website, but I finally have it up.  It’s in the early stages now, but I am adding content and already have a bunch of mixes posted from myself and almost all the DJ sets from my guests at the future classic parties I’ve been throwing.  I’m also about to start a monthly question section on the website for people to interact and talk about music on a deeper level.  I first saw Jeff Mills do this on his AXIS site and I used to really appreciate the comments people had.
Other than that…you can find me on myspace.com/thedeviousonempls or facebook under DVS1.
Interview by Aaron Bliss

DOWNLOAD >>>  JackCast004 – DVS1

Via: Black MPLS


1 Response to "JACKCAST004 – DVS1"

  1. Anonymous says:

    Btw using this techno pack for my dj projects https://www.lucidsamples.com/hands-up-samples-packs/295-complete-hands-up-2.html

MTM Blog

Is here to provide music proposals and promotion nonprofit. complaints and ideas to : mexikanteknomafia@gmail.com
Esta aqui para presentar propuestas musicales y promocion sin fines de lucro. quejas y sujerencias: mexikanteknomafia@gmail.com
Powered by Blogger